There is always that group of people that just refuse to follow and keep up with the latest technology. Granted, many things are way better than the modern ones, but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try them at all.
The reason that people are transitioning towards the latest tech is because the older ones, although they were a godsend at their time, are getting obsolete and are very wasteful.
Not only that, they are more dangerous to use as compared to their counterparts and require more care if you want them to work. Even more so when it comes to chainsaws. Electric chainsaws are getting more and more popular and are becoming the first choice of many users.
As for how good they are or how much safer they can be, we will discuss that below.
Pros And Cons
There isn’t one thing that is perfect and is bound to have some flaws. But, what makes it worth your time and money is how good it is for you, and by how far the pros outweigh the cons.
And that is precisely what we are going to discuss here.
1) First thing that an electric chainsaw excels in is the weight. It is way lighter than a gas-powered one. This allows the user to carry it with much more ease and comfort. The strain is also significantly reduced, and you can use it for a longer time frame.
2) Second can be the maintenance. No matter how great a gas-powered chainsaw is, the upkeep always sours the mood after a good day of sawing. What’s more, if you show the slightest neglect towards it, the consequences can be dire, to say the least. An electric chainsaw is free from all that hassle.
3) Continuous power is one thing that makes the electric chainsaws such a hot commodity. You don’t have to worry about the gas running out and carrying a gas tank to keep it running. All you have to do is plug it in, and you are ready to go.
4) Chainsaws powered by gas are usually mostly bulky and large. A bigger engine is the source of its power, and thus they are larger in size. The electric-powered chainsaws are free of all the weight and scale due to smaller motors and fewer parts.
5) Lastly, electric chainsaws are way more effortless to use. Their small size and weight allows the user to reach and cut places that the burlier and bulkier chainsaws can’t. There are also cordless chainsaw sharpeners that add to the mobility by a great deal.
6) Gas chainsaws are also very hard to start. The time it takes can nauseate any newbie. This is where an electric chainsaw provides ease of use. All it takes is a push of a button, and voila!
7) Gas chainsaws, as we all know, have an engine that runs on oil and gas mixed together. The ratio has to be correct; otherwise, there are bound to be problems. For electric chainsaws, there is no such thing. Just a plug and an outlet.
8) There are many smaller blades available in cordless chainsaws that can cut through the minor problems. No need to bring out the big guns every single time.
As for cons, there are a few. But, they can be overlooked in many cases.
1) What electric chainsaws lack is power. You’ll have to spend a lot more time cutting a piece of wood by an electric chainsaw compared to a gas chainsaw. However, that can be overlooked because as long as there is a power outlet, the chainsaw can go on.
2) The lightweight comes at a cost, and that is more and more plastic parts. This reduces the durability of the chainsaw.
The third disadvantage of having an electric chainsaw can be the cord length.
3) The cord can also be a problem in numerous ways. It can get chipped by the blade, the user can trip over the cord. This can be especially dangerous if the chain is in motion or is not covered.
4) An average electric chainsaw can never complete the rigorous work that a professional sawer has to do. It can only cut through some lightweight work and go back to the garage.
What Are They Good For?
They are good enough to help you in multiple tasks and ways. If you are a beginner, then an electric chainsaw is the best choice for you. There aren’t any complications and complexities with them that you have to deal with.
Small and light garden work can also be done with them. Little trees and tough bushes can be cleaned by it. They are generally less noisy than a gas chainsaw. So, if you live in a lively neighborhood or those who don’t like all the racket a chainsaw creates.
The cordless ones are also an available option if you have something that requires more agility and maneuverability. They are smaller in size than a corded chainsaw and easier to use. Lastly, those people that have a light wallet or bank balance can also opt for this one. They are cheaper and more affordable and last a good while.
There are many things that people rarely encounter and thus were not mentioned here. But, the more general and common things have been thoroughly gone through and discussed. If you still feel like buying a gas-powered chainsaw then it’s your choice. All we have to say is that you’ll be missing out on a lot of good things.
And, if you do, then good luck with your new equipment and we hope that you get the best version of it.
If there were something that we missed or you found missing or incorrect, we request you to bring it up in the comment section below.